My mother-in-law lived at Lenbrook for three years so my husband Jack and I not only had heard about Lenbrook's reputation but had experienced it. I guess you could say we became second-generation Lenbrookers.
We signed up to move here when Lenbrook started building the new building. We picked our apartment on the 15th floor before it was even built. We were so excited that we'd drive by to look at it during construction. The view of Kennesaw Mountain and the sunsets are breathtaking.
By far, Lenbrook's greatest asset is its people. It's a very supportive community and the people are so kind. Our chaplain is also amazing. I chose to have Jack's memorial service in the Lenbrook event center so that everyone who wanted to could come -- without having to take transportation to another location. Now others are doing the same.
But of all the things going on here, I think our Happy Hour tradition is one of the most popular. People who may not go to any other activities will come downstairs for Happy Hour. We have it every day from 4 to 5:30 p.m. in the Lenbrook living room, except on Sundays. I'm usually there at least five days a week.
Happy Hour is not about the drinking. It's about seeing your friends and passing along information. It's about seeing familiar faces. It gets kind of chaotic because most days there are 30 to 40 people mingling and moving chairs around in the Lenbrook living room. It's a fun, friendly relaxed group. And then you can go to dinner together if you want. New residents find it a great way to meet people. It's a valuable tradition that we treasure.
My next favorite way to spend time is painting. We have an art studio and I can stop and start whenever I like. I just leave my stuff out and come back when I want. I studied with an artist in Europe but mostly I am self taught. I've done some abstract, some impressionist, some portraits and four of my pieces were recently in the Lenbrook Art Show.
Some people say I'm good at it. I just love doing it. Art is my therapy. I took it up when my husband was ill and he needed to take a nap every afternoon. I started going down to the studio and painting while he would take naps. And I've kept painting ever since.
Faye McCune and her husband Jack raised three daughters and a son in Atlanta, after living in Germany and California. They were married for 51 years until his passing in 2013. Faye is a proud mother, grandmother and great grandmother -- she has 9 grandchildren and 1 great grandchild!